Monday, February 28, 2011

We interrupt this 30 day blog challenge for... PHOENIX!

I've had BLOG on the top of my "to do" list for the past week, however, I have had a workshop in Phoenix.  Throw in 7 hours of meetings with no internet in room, and it leads to NO blog posts while I was away.

But... I AM BACK!!!

So... back on track for tomorrow, but today I'll show you what I have been up to this past week.
I fell in love with Phoenix on this trip.  Perhaps because of the amazing hotel we stayed in (Sheraton downtown), or because of the great food (thanks to my YELP app on my phone/ipad), or because of the warm weather I was able to run in the second morning we were there (50 degrees :)  The Phoenix Suns arena and Chase Field (AZ Diamondbacks) were both within blocks of our hotel... it would be fun to go back and catch a game at both places sometime.
 My events/dining/etc for the 3 days:

Tuesday:
Cibo (dinner).  5 stars!
Sheraton check in.

Wednesday:
3.5 mile run (treadmill)
PLC conference (great keynote speakers)
My Big Fat Greek Restaurant (lunch).  Horrible wait, average food.
More conference.
Drive to Scottsdale.
Cantina Laredo (dinner) A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.! 5 stars!
My H & M shopping fix (had to replace Aspen's shoes we lost on the ship)

Thursday:
3.4 mile run in downtown Phoenix.  Picked up a couple extra runners in the lobby.
More conference.
Thai Elephant (lunch).  4 stars.
More conference.
Hike up Camelback Mountain (this deserves a write up of it's own at the bottom)
Maggiano's (dinner) in Scottsdale.  4 stars.  Bread at Maggiano's... 5 stars.

Friday:
More conference.
Alice Cooper's-town (lunch). 5 stars!  Great fries, chili, and mashed potatoes.
Airport & home.
 CAMELBACK MOUNTAIN:
1.2 miles up the side of a mountain with boulders and terrain that required hand holds, and an incline of 1300 feet.  One teacher ended up stopping when we had to start climbing using the poles, and another kept trying to stop, but I kept persisting.  We made it to the top just before sunset.  What an amazing view.  The hike was not a trail hike, per say, but a climb over large boulders.  Even in broad daylight we got lost a few times because it is hard to tell where the trail even is.

SO... as we watched the sun set, I realized we were standing on top of a mountain with an "older" hiker to get down the trail... over boulders... without getting lost... IN THE DARK!!!
That was an interesting hike.  Fun day!
hiking up the "trail"
Downtown Phoenix in the distance

At the top: me, Jared, Michael & Audrey

3 comments:

Julie L said...

Tonia, I am so impressed with that hike! I have only seen that mountain (well, most mountains) from the valley floor. Because you're posting this, I realize you made it back down, but YIKES! scary!

I have to admit, now that I've been there a few times, I miss Arizona now that our kids have all moved away from that beautiful state and I question how often we will ever return. Miss it in the winter, anyway. Looks like a great time to go.

BriAnn said...

How fun! I miss all you people. :) Say hi to them all for me.

going gordon said...

That looks like so much fun! I was born in Phoenix and lived there the first 3 years of my life, but haven't been back much. You've inspired me! VERY cool hike!

On this Blog: